Saturday, September 17, 2011

Kitchen Parties, Weddings, Facetime

Today I got to go to a "Kitchen Party." It's kind of like a Bridal Shower, only it happens the day of the wedding, there are about 200 women there and there is LOTS of dancing.  Every once in a while, the "Matron Host" (the female MC) will choose someone randomly to present a gift to the bride...and yes, I was chosen.  Being the only "makua" (white person) in a see of 200 Zambian women, I was an easy spot. I had to present gifts to the bride (a serving platter and fry pan), tell her what they were for...and do my best version of a Zambian dance.  Thankfully, my friend Angela was there to help me.  It was an event I will remember for a very long time...

Ironically, my "little" brother got married today.  I call him little, but he's a good foot taller than I.  Thanks to a wonderful thing called facetime and my sister Melissa's great willingness to hold up her phone for 20 minutes, Jon and I saw and heard every bit of the ceremony.  So thankful we got to see it all!

Also thankful that my camera battery died before I had to dance at the Kitchen Party...sorry, no photos of that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment