Monday, September 5, 2011

It's Times Like These

We often wonder why we are thousands of miles away from family.  Why God brought us half way around the world to serve.  We miss our family and friends everyday.  And then, something happens that reminds us...

It was August 22nd, the first day of Hope Fest in Livingstone. Jon and I were there helping at a teen outreach event with some friends that had come to visit from New York.  At about 1:30pm they fed us lunch from "Hungry Lion" - chicken and french fries, and bottles of soda.

At about 2:30pm, I stepped outside for some air.  There were trash bags piled with empty styrofoam lunch containers, chewed on chicken bones, empty fry pouches and soda bottles. However, that's not what got my attention.  It was the little boy digging through all the trash for the treasured bottles.

For a few moments, I watched.  This "makua" (white person), just staring in awe at this little boy digging through the trash.  Why did he dig for these bottles?  I was curious.  But, he was too quickly shooed away from the bags and ran around the corner.

It wasn't too long (maybe 30 seconds) before he was back, grabbing a white trash bag and hiding behind a small wall, continuing to dig.  So, I went around the corner, I stuck my hands in the bag with him and I started to pull out soda bottle after soda bottle.

Our conversation was slow at the start,
"You don't have to help me m'am."
"Yes, I know"
Quiet...
"My name is Erin, what's your name?"
"Matthews."
"Hi Matthews, it's nice to meet you."
Quiet...
"Can I ask, Matthews, do you sell these bottles?" (knowing that most people sell them for about 4 cents)
"Yes, I sell them over in the market so that I can buy food for my family."
"Oh, I see.  Do you have brothers and sisters?"
"Yes, I have 2 sisters and a brother.  My father is dead, my mother is away in the village."
"Do you go to church."
"Yes, we go to the Anglican church."
"Do you have a Bible?"
"No."
"Well, I want you to have this one," (I pulled out a small New Testament Bible made for teens) "Can you read"
"Yes, but not very well, but my sister, she can read."
"That's great, maybe she can help you read it."

We continued to talk while our hands were dirtied from digging through 5 or 6 garbage bags.  He collected enough bottles to make about $5 and was on his way.  I invited him back the next day.  He was back by 4pm that same day, with his sister, Mary.  At the end of day 1 of Hope Fest, they stayed behind to help clean up and collected more bottles as we stacked chairs.

The next day, I waited near the back, hoping they would return.  Hoping they would not be collecting bottles all day - I knew there would be enough for them at Hope Fest...if only they would come.

They came.  At about 10:30am, they walked in, sat down by me and stayed until the end.  They sang, they danced, they laughed like children should.  They had fun.

Near the end of the day, I found myself looking around...for bottles.  Trying to scope out where the bottles were and trying to figure out a way we could collect them for Matthews and Mary.  I don't think I can remember a time when I was so protective of a bottle, when a bottle meant so much to me.  But, I knew if we could collect 100 bottles, it might be enough for them to get some tomato and onion to go with their dinner.  Then, I spotted the big, empty, white bags that the lunches were brought to us in.  Since we were not allowed to eat in the hall that day, they were not full of trash.  I grabbed a couple and started to scour the grounds, searching for bottles.  Jess and I stood at the doorway as people left, collecting all the empties.  Then, we ran outside the gate to find Matthews and Mary so we could give them their bottles.

Before we said our goodbyes, we gave them a few extra groceries that Jon had picked up for them - some milk, juice, bread, mealie meal and cookies and the chicken from our lunches. We gave them hugs and promised we would try to see them again when we were in Livingstone and told them that we would never forget them.

Matthews in the red dancing!

Erin, Matthews and Mary
It's times like these when we are reminded of why we are here, that we need to make the most of every opportunity to serve, even if it means getting dirty from chicken bones and empty fry packages, even if it means treasuring a small, plastic bottle and even if it means giving a piece of our hearts to 2 little 12 year olds in downtown Livingstone.




3 comments:

  1. You bring tears to my eyes. What a blessing you both are. May God continue to use you and may we be reminded every day, minute by minute, of what we have and appreciate it. Your obedience to God's call on yor lives (and so much more) is so inspiring. Blessings to both of you and to Matthews and Mary.
    Love, Val.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying daily for you and Jon and all that are giving your time,your tears,your hearts to these children.What an awesome story and a glimpse into the lives of two children that is so hard for us over here to comprehend,to understand what it's like to have to search through trash to survive when all we have to do is open up our wallets,grab plastic or some green stuff and not think twice about it.Blessings and prayers to you Erin.

    ReplyDelete