Friday, August 5, 2011

Waste Not, Want Not

Being in Zambia makes me realize how much food I waste on a daily basis.  We pay a young man to care for our lawn and take our trash to the magical land of trash (we really have no idea where it goes...just that it leaves the trash can...).  I always wonder what he would think if he saw food being thrown out consistently.  So, I am becoming more conscientious of cleaning up the leftovers in our fridge and feel a sense of accomplishment when I do.
My creations yesterday...

rice dish
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups leftover rice
1 green pepper on the verge of demise
1/2 an onion
olive oil
garlic salt
chicken stock (mixed in a little hot water)
Saute the green pepper and onion with a little olive oil and garlic salt.  Add the rice and chicken stock (and a little more oil if necessary).
 And, done!  It was pretty good, too.
banana bread
(yes, the photo is sideways, but you get the idea!)

Ingredients:
4 very ripe bananas
melted margarine, egg, sugar, "bicarbonate of soda," vanilla extract, flour, salt
Thankfully, our oven is connected to the generator so even when the power goes out, the banana bread can still bake!

No comments:

Post a Comment