Monday, August 1, 2011

This Weary Heart

Two single orphans we met in Maambo, Zambia
Their father passed away from AIDS 2 years ago
Their mother has HIV and is on Antiretrovirals

There is a song that has been going through my mind lately.  Maybe it's because with every village visit, we meet children who have been orphaned. Maybe it's because every time we go into town we pass an orphanage, or if we go down Macha Road when we are in town, we pass another.  We can't wait to spend time with them, to see the smiles on their faces as we talk with them, bring them gifts, give food to their families (whether in the orphanages or villages).  It takes a toll on the heart though, especially when you have to say goodbye and go home.  You wonder if they have a bed to sleep on, if they will be able to go to school the next day, if they will be treated for their ear infection that is causing hearing difficulty.  It can make you weary.  Maybe that is why this song has been on my heart.  

Who can hold the stars and my weary heart? Who can see everything?
I've fallen so hard sometimes I feel so far, but not beyond your reach
I could climb a mountain, swim the ocean or do anything
But it's when you hold me that I start unfolding
And all I can say is

Hallelujah, hallelujah
Whatever's in front of me
Help me to sing hallelujah
Hallelujah, hallelujah
Whatever's in front of me
I'll choose to sing hallelujah

The same sun that rises over castles and welcomes the day
Spills over buildings into the streets where orphans play
And only you can see the good in broken things
You took my heart of stone and you made it home
And set this prisoner free

Bethany Dillion
"Hallelujah"


1 comment:

  1. Erin, I can't express enough how happy I am for your journey, where God has taken you and Jon. It's such a beautiful wonder to see your hearts in complete surrender to Love, loving the orphan and the broken, even to the point of a weary heart. It's in that place where He can use you most. Keep loving until it hurts. He is so proud of your sacrifice. I love and miss you and hope some day to work along side you in my homeland of Africa.

    ReplyDelete