Friday, October 7, 2011

Adjustments

We have been in New York for two weeks.  It has been exciting, strange and exhausting.  For the first three or four days, I would wake up at 4am, slightly disoriented.  The first day, I looked around for the mosquito net wondering if we put it down or if we got attacked all night!  Then, I remembered where we were.  No net needed.

We have been doing lots of waiting, on tests, on doctors appointments, on more tests.  In the meantime, I have been helping Debbie decorate for fall, spending time with family and friends and trying out a zillion new recipes.  I am actually becoming quite knowledgable in all things cooking. I have even learned how to make cheesecake.

All the cooking and baking means lots of running around to pick up groceries.  My first trip to Wegmans (cue the heavenly music), was fun and overwhelming.  It was 5am, so there really was not anyone else there...what crazy person is at the grocery at 5am?  I walked around in awe at the meat section, at all the different fruits and vegetables, at the massive amounts of cereal, kleenex boxes galore and the HUGE selection of coffee.  I spent a good 10 minutes just picking out what kind of coffee I wanted to take home...pretty sure the man stocking the shelves thought I was crazy as I picked up and put down just about every box of k-cup coffee in the aisle.

Of course, we have also been through the drive thru...just a couple of times, to pick up coffee or ice cream.  We have been ingrained in Zambia to pass ONLY with your right hand.  You pass with your right out of respect. That is pretty much impossible going through a drive through. Passing with my left hand seems awkward unnatural now.  

It's strange the adjustments we have had to make the past couple of weeks.  The little things we have had to get used to all over again.  New habits are much easier to form than one might think.

No comments:

Post a Comment